In all of the businesses it operates, the Pigeon Group (“Pigeon”) delivers its corporate philosophy, “Love,” to everyone who needs assistance in pregnancy, childbirth, child-rearing and elder care, in the form of products and services. Pigeon also pursues sustainable operation from an environmental, social and governance (ESG) perspective. Moreover, by creating new value through the products and services it provides, Pigeon’s business activities contribute to solutions to social problems, as represented by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
One of the ESG issues Pigeon tackles is the sustainable reduction of environmental impact. One of Pigeon’s initiatives in this regard is to work with suppliers on the management of chemicals contained in products, to ensure that all products delivered to Pigeon customers are safe and environmentally friendly. These efforts cover all chemicals regulated under international regulations and agreements such as the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants and the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulations.
Management of chemicals contained in products
Pigeon divides its management of chemicals into two levels, “procurement-prohibited substances” and “procurement-controlled substances,” in consideration of regulations in the countries where Pigeon products are sold as well as other regulations which are internationally influential. Chemicals subject to control are regulated as described below. The chemicals included in products are managed at the design and development stages and for products that Pigeon purchases continually.
1. Procurement-prohibited substances
These are substances whose use is prohibited under international treaties and/or domestic law.
Pigeon does not manufacture or sell products that intentionally include these chemicals.
Pigeon instructs its suppliers to furnish proof that they do not use these prohibited substances and confirms that said substances are not used.
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
- Substances designated as Class 1 Specified Chemical Substance in the laws concerning regulations on chemical substances in evaluation and manufacturing. (Japan)
- Substances prohibited from sale under the domestic laws of each country and region in which Pigeon products are sold
(Persistent and bioaccumulative substances that have long-term toxicity to humans and/or to higher-order predatory animals) (Countries other than Japan)
2. Procurement-controlled substances
These are chemicals for which the quantity included in products is restricted, or whose inclusion is restricted for specified applications, in accordance with restrictions in international treaties and laws and commensurate regulations.
Pigeon controls and restricts the quantities of these chemicals included in its products.
Pigeon requires its suppliers to conduct investigation and report on its use of the following substances:
- Substances listed in Appendix XVII of REACH
- Substances listed in the Candidate List of REACH
- Substances governed by the EU Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive (applies to electrical products only)
- Substances designated as Class 2 Specified Chemical Substance in the laws concerning regulations on chemical substances in evaluation and manufacturing. (Japan)
- Chemicals whose use is restricted under the domestic laws of each country and region in which Pigeon products are sold (Substances that carry a risk of impact on human health or ecosystems) (countries other than Japan)